Green Whiff...

I used to despair that not enough of us educated literati of urban India are concerned about the environment and effects of our local actions that, put together have a global effect.
But recent messages in personal and group mail show that more people have woken up, and are gently tapping others awake.
In one group, members encouraged happy Diwali celebrations sans crackers.
In another, nearly all the members are vociferously protesting tree-felling in their beloved alma-mater.
Of course all this is like a drop in the ocean - one green whiff among millions of tonnes of CO2 emmissions and equivalents.
The neighbourhood grocer continues to tell me ' Madam you are the only person to refuse a carrybag - I will lose business if I don't stock them. I know that I can save a couple of 1000 rupees a month and pass the savings to my clients if everyone brought their own bags."
In my campus I see quite a few shops that say 'No carry bags'. I step into the shop to find rows and columns of merchandise in perfectly transparent polythene...
What we need now is ISR - Individual Social Responsibility efforts: What I, as an individual should do to bring some cheer to the outlook on climate change among other socio-economic issues?
I had long been thinking about ISR, I mean, like economy, charity and so much else, SR should begin at home, with each individual. I found a wealth of write-up on ISR, one of them is an educators resourse to foster SR in students, and portrays Gandhiji as the example for these skills of individual responsibility and civil involvement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Vishnu Sahasranamam- Vani's rebirth

"Did Hanuman return the mountain?"

Darshan Do, Ghanshyam Naath...