Of Man Vs Nature - Dear Squirrel, a confession

If you are a frequent traveller on Indian highways, you are bound to have noticed carcasses, small and large, of birds and stray beings, that have gone under many a wheel. If only we were not always in a hurry, we could train ourselves to 'live and let live'.
This is in memory of a friendly neighbourhood squirrel...read on.

I saw and watched you everyday
In the balcony, the trees and the lawn
Scampering with your family and friends
Seemingly care-free and happy

Someone wanted more light
So they cleared away the foliage
Your home in distant trees was saved
But I lost your winged friends

Forever, it seemed then
Before new green life sprang out
Irrepressibly kindled a spark
in the eyes again

Then I woke to renewed chirps
could watch you, and flying colours
Till one day as I rode out
You, usually quick, scampered the wrong way

Were you in a great hurry? My reflexes
were not enough - the wheel rolled
over your sweet nose, but that was enough.
I feel for you, as I do for the green…

Comments

  1. Sad, Swarna!
    Did it survive??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her family and friends continue to make homes in the same neighbourhood...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh....really??? Sad!! But it was not your fault!! Let the dear lil squirrel rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous31 July, 2008

    I know your pain. I recently hit a fawn and broke both its back legs. hard not to feel responsible. I shed a lot of tears.


    Dagny
    www.onnotextiles.com
    bamboo and organic clothing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indrani, Raji, Lakshmi, Dagny
    Thanks for sparing a thought for the squirrel

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey that one was the maternal cousin twice removed of squeaky the fella who lives in p36 environs of sooloor
    he told me with a few microlitres of tears welling up in his tiny eyes

    aditya mustve noticed the twinkle eyed chap......

    you mesh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

i appreciate that you have some thoughts to share, and are taking the effort to do so.

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Vishnu Sahasranamam- Vani's rebirth

"Did Hanuman return the mountain?"

Darshan Do, Ghanshyam Naath...